In October we will be launching our Kickstarter campaign to crowdsource enough funds to launch the Real Times Tables – Make It Stick! poster sets. Kickstarter is a crowdfunding community of ten million followers that launches creative projects. The designers (us) remain in complete control of their own work, but have an opportunity to share it with a crowd of financial backers. Since Kickstarter’s launch in 2009, 126,558 projects have been successfully funded. This allows Bendy Brains to start our own campaign with a budget of…$0.
If this sounds like easy sailing – it ain’t. Every project creator sets their project’s funding goal and deadline. If people like the project, they can pledge money to make it happen. If the project succeeds in reaching its funding goal, all backers’ credit cards are charged when time expires. If the project falls short, no one is charged.
Funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. If we fall even one dollar short of our goal, we have to walk away.
Months of unpaid work goes into a Kickstarter campaign before the launch. Larissa Wiese, owner of Kuraman Creative and Bendy Brains, produces the designs, web programming, account management, market research, public relations, social media management and performs every other role for the company for months before the project is launched. The funding goal has to be at a minimum to make the project a success (if we don’t reach it – no funding!), but has to be accurate enough to launch the business proper.
The flip side to this is that all of our ducks are in a row before we start selling. Every single cost is accounted for (such as fumigating the imported FSC wood at Fremantle Harbour – who knew?) before the campaign is detailed. For backers of our project it means when you pledge an amount you get a great reward for that amount. Usually it means you can buy the product at a discounted rate. More creative rewards are available too – such as
- customised digital downloads of the posters, to print out at your required size
- a cartoon likeness of yourself as a character in our upcoming book The Magnificent Seven
- access to limited editions of the Real Times Tables – Maker It Stick! posters
- your name and website listed on our online shop as a backer of this campaign
- inclusion on our ‘Backer Map’ – a map of backer locations as a commemorative poster to be posted with your Real Times Tables – Make It Stick! posters
- super awesome bumper stickers for bendy brains.
To sign up to hear more about our campaign, please use this form below: